On Sunday 28 August, the Green Point Cricket Club and Sea Point Promenade bustled with activity as an amazing total of 13 624 people from all cultures and communities in the Western Cape and beyond, united against hunger by taking part in our 48th Blisters for Bread Charity Family Fun Walk.
Thanks to entry fees received, the event managed to raise a total of R681 200-00, of which 100% of this amount, will enable PSFA to provide over 1 724 disadvantaged children with a nutritious breakfast and lunch while at school for an entire year.
The 10km walk was started by the MEC of Cultural Affairs and Sport, Ms Anroux Marais and our Chairman, Mr Yusuf Kader. The reigning Miss South Africa, Ntandoyenkosi Kunene started the 5km walk. Both the MEC and MIss SA joined the thousand’s of people in the 5km walk.
After crossing the finishing line and collecting their medals and a complimentary Cokes, the walkers were treated to a programme of first class entertainment and the delicious aromas of fresh coffee and good food.
Heart FM presenters, Suga, Jo-Dee Butler and Mark Marshall were our outstanding MC’s for day, as they hyped the crowd from the Coca-Cola gig rig doing lucky draws and introducing the following awesome performers:
- High energy hip hop and free style dance groups Revenge, New Generation and Virtual Minds from the Out of Africa Dance Academy
- Acoustic guitarist and singer Julian Hurley and Sarah
- X Factor SA winners, the boy band FOUR, who were very popular with the crowd, especially the girls and
- Vivacious singer and songwriter, Janice
PSFA would like to thank the following for making Blisters for Bread 2016 such a great success:
- Everyone who participated in the 10km and 5km walks
- Peninsula Beverage Company and Coca-Cola for sponsoring all the medals, providing the ice cold Coke that was enjoyed by all the walkers, purchasing a hospitality package, providing the gig rig stages and sound at the start of the walk and on the field for the entertainment
- The official radio partner, Heart FM
- The official print media partner, WP Media publications People’s Post, Tygerburger and City Vision
- The media in general for the outstanding coverage and free advertising space
- The City of Cape Town
- Lions Club International for providing volunteers to assist with the marshaling
- Banks R & L Hiring for sponsoring the marquee and catering equipment for our hospitality area
- Sanitech Cape Toilet Hire for sponsoring the toilets for our hospitality area
- GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World, Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr, Oxford University Press for purchasing hospitality packages
- HiTec and Taj Hotel for sponsoring prizes for the lucky draws
- Warren Lodge from LIFE Brand for handling the publicity
- Top Events for organizing the event on our behalf
We look forward to seeing you all again on Sunday 27 August 2017, for our 49th Blisters for Bread Charity Family Fun Walk!