Although the day started with howling winds, Blisters for Bread in association with Lucky Star, which took place at the Green Point Cricket Club on Sunday 27 August 2017, turned out to be a fantastic success!
12 594 walkers from all cultures and communities in the Western Cape, united in the fight against childhood hunger by entering the 5km and 10 km walks along the sunny scenic Sea Point Promenade.
Thanks to the walkers who each paid a R50 entry fee, the event managed to raise an outstanding total of R629 700. 100% of this amount, will enable PSFA to provide 1 399 hungry learners with a nutritious breakfast and lunch while at school for an entire calendar year!
High profile walkers on the day included Anroux Marais, the Western Cape Minister of Cultural Affairs and Sport, Patricia de Lille, Executive Mayor of Cape Town, Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, the reigning Miss South Africa, Lourens de Waal, the managing director of Lucky Star, Yusuf Kader, chairman of PSFA and various other sports and entertainment celebrities.
After crossing the finish line at the Green Point Cricket Club and collecting their medals and a complimentary ice cold Coke, the walkers were treated to a programme of first class entertainment that included live performance by Sivu, Lekota Silva, Kinetic IV and SA X Factor winners, FOUR. The popular Heart FM breakfast team Aden Thomas, Julian Naidoo and Tapfuma Makina did an outstanding job as our celebrity announcers.
The PSFA board, management, staff and in particular the underprivileged learners on our feeding programme hereby wish to take this opportunity to thank the following people, companies and organisations that played a pivotal role in ensuring the success of our 49th Blisters for Bread Charity Family Fun Walk:
- Everyone who entered the 10km and 5km walks
- Luck Star – main sponsor
- Golden Harvest – support sponsor
- Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages – official hydration partner
- Heart FM – official radio partner
- People’s Post – official print media partner
- The media in general for the outstanding coverage and free advertising space
- Lions Club International for providing volunteers to assist with the marshaling
- The City of Cape Town
- Banks R & L Hiring for sponsoring the marquee and catering equipment for our hospitality area
- Sanitech Cape Toilet Hire for sponsoring the luxury toilets for our hospitality area
- GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World, Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr, Oxford University Press and Lucky Star for purchasing hospitality packages
- Pres Les, Heart FM, Lucky Star, GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World, Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages and Golden Harvest for providing prizes for the lucky walker number draws
- Warren Lodge from LIFE Brand for handling the publicity
- Top Events for organising the event on our behalf
Next year is going to be a big year for Blisters for Bread. On Sunday 26 August 2018 the 50th Blisters for Bread Family Charity Fun walk will be taking place and we look forward to seeing you all again!