On Sunday 25 August, a total of 10 082 people united against childhood hunger to walk in the Peninsula School Feeding Association’s (PSFA) 51st Blisters for Bread in association with Lucky Star.
Thanks to everyone who entered, the event managed to raise a fantastic R604 920 from entry fees. PSFA will allocate 100% of this amount to providing 1 344 children affected by poverty with a daily nutritious breakfast and lunch while at school for an entire calendar year.
High profile Western Cape Government officials who walked on the day included Alan Winde, the Premier of the Western Cape, Debbie Schäfer, the MEC of Education, Anroux Marais, the MEC of Cultural Affairs & Sport and Sharna Fernandez, the MEC of Social Development. Dan Plato, the Executive Mayor of Cape Town kindly joined us at the start of 10km race where he said a few words.
With August being Women’s Month, Ministers Debbie Schäfer, Anroux Marais and Sharna Fernandez fired the starter’s gun at the 10km walk. Lourens de Waal, the managing director of Lucky Star, the main sponsor of the event, fired the starter’s gun at the 5km walk.
After crossing the finish line and collecting their medals and complimentary refreshments provided by Coca-Cola Penbev, the walkers were treated to an outstanding concert featuring top South African pop stars, Kerwin, Jarrad Ricketts and Paxton. As Jarrad began to sing the sun broke through the clouds. A big thank you to Heart FM presenters, Suga and Jeremy Harris for announcing at the concert.
This is what Lourens de Waal, the managing director of Lucky Star had to say “The Oceana Group, through its Lucky Star business, is proud to be associated with PSFA and such a great cause. On the day everything worked and the feedback has been positive all round. It was also very obvious that the dignitaries and celebrities loved being part of the event. My team worked well with yours. Well done.”
PSFA hereby wishes to thank the following people, companies and organisations that played a vital role in ensuring the success of our 51st Blisters for Bread Charity Family Fun Walk:
- Everyone who entered the 10km and 5km walks
- Lucky Star – main sponsor
- SASKO – support sponsor
- Golden Harvest – support sponsor
- Joy Mila General Trading – support sponsor
- Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages – official hydration partner
- Heart FM – official radio partner
- People’s Post – official print media partner
- The media in general for the outstanding coverage and free advertising space
- Lions Club International for providing volunteers to assist with the marshalling
- The City of Cape Town for discounted services
- The Sportsmans Warehouse branches for distributing entry forms and entry registrations
- Banks R & L Hiring for sponsoring the marquee and catering equipment for PSFA’s hospitality area
- The Western Cape Department of Cultural Affairs & Sport for providing funding to cover the cost to hire public toilets
- Sanitech Cape Toilet Hire for sponsoring the luxury toilets for our hospitality area
- GrandWest Casino & Entertainment World, Table Bay Hotel, Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages and Oxford University Press for purchasing hospitality packages
- Pres Les, Home Choice, Lucky Star, Nutribullet, Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages, SASKO and Golden Harvest for providing prizes for the lucky walker number draws and social media competitions
- Warren Lodge and his team from LIFE Brand for handling the publicity
- Top Events for organising the event on our behalf
Blisters for Bread 2019 will be taking place on Sunday 27 August – we look forward to seeing you all there!